NEW COUNCILLORS CRY OVER DELAY OF OATH OF OFFICE

“Subject to the local council act 2004, councilors shall hold office for four years, and every councilor shall, before taking his seat in the local council, take and subscribe the oath prescribed in the second schedule,” so says sections 7 and 8.

But what seems commonness in mouths of number of elected Mayors, Chairmen and councilors of the concluded March 7 general elections is accusation of government not endeavoring making them take oath of office as by law required.

This, they say, is completely unprecedented of the ruling SLPP, and no doubt a strategy to smother opposition political parties, in particular, the APC, which is having sizeable seats in the local council, not to play active part in the governance of the country at local levels.

The local government, by extension, covers issues such as activities permitted on public land management and use of infrastructure.

They are responsible for the enforcing of local laws and other legislation over which they have authority.

It is also true local government sets the overall direction for municipalities through long-term plan including council plans, financial plans, municipal strategic statements and other strategic plans.

They set the vision, and then ensuring that same is achieved.

Because the role of local government in any country is key to the success of governance, regimes, over the years, have had untiring times luring the electorates vote Mayors, Chairmen and of course councilors of their respective political parties, to enable one party have free breathing space over the others at elections.

The Bio led SLPP is now being accused of not merely suppressing the free and timely working atmosphere of local councils nationwide, but cunningly seemingly replicating same to parliament, which official opening date slated for 19th April, has recently been postponed to 26th April, unexplained.

Yesterday 18th April, Hon. Paran Tarawally, the recently appointed clerk of the House of Parliament, was on air confirming the deferral of the opening of parliament from 19th April to 26th April, 2018.

Reasons he put forward relate to the fact that names of persons to be sworn as members of parliament have irregularities, that as at his pronouncement of the new date for the opening of parliament; he was yet to set eyes on gazetted names of parliamentary members.

Many including civil society organizations and the media have expressed concerns over delay in the swearing of local councilors and of elected members of parliament.

They have equally called on the SLPP government of President Bio to swiftly cause such, to enhance the smooth and unobstructed running of the country.

7 thoughts on “NEW COUNCILLORS CRY OVER DELAY OF OATH OF OFFICE

• April 26, 2018 at 6:18 pm

Your writing style reminds me of my dad back in Utah. Is there anything else I could read to learn more about this? I bet you sweat glitter. Thanks for posting this amazing write up.

• June 5, 2018 at 5:30 pm

I must say, I really like what you’ve done here. Your post is super useful to me. I was reading your website and my crazy cat spilled a pitcher on my brand new lap top. These posts really makes me think a lot.

• June 11, 2018 at 7:32 pm

I truly learned a lot here today. After I read this I screamed at the sky and my eyes exploed. {Hey, that sure is a clever way of wording it.|You remind me of my best friend back in Pennsylvania.|I’m really beyond blown away, I got to admit.|Neat blog.|cool work, keep it up.|I’ve added your post to my WordPress bookmarks.|I’ll be a regular visitor to your site ongoing.|Is there anything else I could look at to know more about this subject?|Will you be writing any more articles on this topic?{ Because I would sure like to discover more on this topic. Just wanted to say fantastic post! I seriously like this work a bunch!

• July 16, 2018 at 1:03 pm

This actually solved my question. You are like the cookies to a glass of tasty milk. Magnificent feed back. I guess I really got sucked into this article because when I saw the clock I was shocked to see that I’ve spent over 5 or more hours on this blog. Do you ever get burnt out from writing all this great content?

• July 20, 2018 at 10:38 pm

Thank you a lot for giving your thoughts. About how big is your team, hope you don’t mind me asking. I really hope you’re making a lot of money off your information. When I am ever in trouble I will give you a ring. I’ve written down this suggestion and I will apply it next time I’m at work. You’re obviously very knowledgeable about this topic.

• Pingback: cmt875nttbchdjwx4wctve4656

• August 6, 2018 at 12:34 am

How long have you been a guru on this topic? I have read a few great things here. That is a very good suggestion, especially to people fresh to the issue. Very useful insights particularly the last part.