GOVT SPENDS US$165M TO IMPORT RICE – Salone Times

The newly appointed Minister of Agriculture Forestry and Food security, Prof Monty Patrick Jones has said that government spent US$165m on imported rice and US$15M to import vegetable oil.

He made this statement when going through interviews on the 11 January 2016 at Committee Room No 1, Parliament Building

He explained that he will engage the youths to do farming instead of roaming about the streets.

When the Deputy Majority Leader of parliament, Hon Leonard Fofanah asked Prof. Jones that he is also known for nerica rice, the nominee responded in the affirmative, adding that nerica has served as globally agricultural rice in nine regions and if approved by parliament he would try to improve agriculture activity in Sierra Leone.

He said that he would be looking at machineries for agricultural purpose that are not only limited to tractors.

He further stated that other countries have done well to improve it productivity and that low lands have not been exploited in Sierra Leone.

He said that he will also encourage commercial agriculture in Sierra Leone so they can contribute to the national development growth.

He added he will be looking at several developments and will open Agricultural Business Centers (ABCs) that will be functional.

Hon Dr Bernadette Lahai asked whether they are rice sufficient in Sierra Leone, because according to her one of the participants at the press review said they are not applying research on technology on their agricultural products because the late president Kabbah launched the cassava processing in 2007 and they have not heard about it since then.

Prof Jones replied that Sierra Leone is not self sufficient.

The chairman of the appointment committee, Hon Ibrahim Bundu said to remove farming from the table of the offices to the farm.

Hon Veronica K Sesay told the nominee that there are other areas which he needs to put efforts on such as animal husbandry and others.

The nominee said agriculture should be conducted in every corner in this country and that they need to add value in producing milk from their cattle like Kenya has started producing milk and sells it to Europe.

Hon PC Victor Kebbie asked if he is the chairman of national federation of farmers.

The nominee said farmers are his friend and that they need to make farmers business people

He said when approved he will meet with the federation.

Other Presidential Nominees interviewed were: Justice A Charm, proposed Chief Justice, Justice, Isata Kabia, Proposed Minister of State 1 in the Ministry of Foreign Affair, Dr. Mohamed Gibirl Sisay, Proposed Minister of State 2 in the Ministry of Foreign Affair and 5 others

67 thoughts on “GOVT SPENDS US$165M TO IMPORT RICE – Salone Times

• October 15, 2017 at 7:51 pm

Great work! This is the type of info that should be shared around the internet. Shame on the search engines for not positioning this post higher! Come on over and visit my site . Thanks =)

• October 22, 2017 at 6:39 pm

Heya i am for the first time here. I came across this board and I find It really useful & it helped me out much. I hope to give something back and help others like you aided me.

• October 25, 2017 at 4:29 pm

Next time I read a blog, I hope that it doesn’t fail me just as much as this particular one. After all, I know it was my choice to read through, however I truly thought you’d have something useful to talk about. All I hear is a bunch of crying about something that you could possibly fix if you weren’t too busy searching for attention.

• November 5, 2017 at 5:54 pm

It is the best time to make a few plans for the long run and it’s time to be happy. I’ve read this post and if I may just I want to suggest you some attention-grabbing issues or suggestions. Perhaps you can write next articles regarding this article. I desire to read more things about it!

• November 12, 2017 at 2:21 pm

This is the perfect webpage for anybody who really wants to find out about this topic. You understand a whole lot its almost tough to argue with you (not that I personally will need to…HaHa). You definitely put a fresh spin on a subject that’s been written about for many years. Excellent stuff, just great!

• December 8, 2017 at 1:55 pm

From my tiny point of view I would tend to disagree in the manner of that. There are not evidences nor certain proofs of that but I will depart the more experts forum bloggers to accustom it improved than I could later than my poor words. Too many grow old we handily rule others and the others’ ideas without having a distinct promise of the situation or of what these people may be going thru. We’re often too superficial and this makes us toss our judgements without reflecting upon the topic enough. This is my 2 cents. IMHO.

• January 10, 2018 at 12:24 am

Hello, you used to write great, but the last several posts have been kinda boring¡K I miss your tremendous writings. Past several posts are just a little out of track! come on!

• January 22, 2018 at 7:46 am

I just found out your web last week back and I also have already been browsing it often. you possess a huge vary of important information on the positioning and that i additionally adore the precise form of the situation at similar time. keep up the great work!

• January 26, 2018 at 10:02 am

I was wondering if you ever considered changing the page layout of your blog? Its very well written; I love what youve got to say. But maybe you could a little more in the way of content so people could connect with it better. Youve got an awful lot of text for only having one or 2 images. Maybe you could space it out better?

• February 11, 2018 at 12:04 am

Thanks for your tips about this blog. 1 thing I would want to say is that purchasing electronic devices items through the Internet is certainly not new. In truth, in the past 10 years alone, the marketplace for online consumer electronics has grown significantly. Today, you could find practically any kind of electronic device and other gadgets on the Internet, ranging from cameras and also camcorders to computer components and games consoles.