For Unlawful Killings… Africa Mineral/ Shandong In UK Court

According to the Guardian Newspaper in the United Kingdom, High court in United Kingdom has heard evidence of Tonkolili Iron Ore Ltd’s which is now controlled by Chinese Shandong Steel formerly owned by African Minerals Limited alleged complicity in killings, beatings and eviction of villagers by armed police in the northern town of
Tonkolili in Sierra Leone.

Kelly Conteh lies in hospital with a head wound after police opened fire at protesters in Bumbuna, in the north of Sierra Leone, in April 2012. Photograph: Finbarr O’Reilly/Reuters.

“An iron ore company once listed in London is accused of presiding over a deadly police crackdown in Sierra Leone, where villagers were arrested, beaten and killed,” the Guardian mentioned.

The newspaper explained that evidence on allegation of the company’s involvement in the police operation will be presented to the court in UK on Tomorrow Thursday 2 November 2017.

“The multimillion pound case against Tonkolili Iron Ore Ltd, formerly a subsidiary of African Minerals Ltd, has been brought by London law firm Leigh Day on behalf of 41 people from Bumbuna, in the north of Sierra Leone,” the newspaper revealed.

The Guardian furthered that according to a witness statement given by a commander, AML ordered the operational support division, the armed wing of the country’s police, to shoot at workers “causing problems” during a strike at one of its mines in 2012, adding that; “during a patrol of the local area by members of the division, police fired at villagers, killing a young woman.”

“AML is also accused of complicity in false imprisonment, assault and battery, trespass and theft of the claimants’ property.

The allegations relate to two incidents: the police response to protests by local people against an alleged landgrab by the firm in 2010, and the police response to a workers’ strike in 2012,” the Newspaper asserts.

The Guardian said the police acted under instructions from the company during the strike and that in written evidence, the operational support division commander described an AML manager as “superior, even to my commander”, and said that the staff member handed out alcohol and money to officers on a daily basis.

“The alcohol gave us energy, made us aggressive and ensured we were not afraid to do what we had to do … We were told to do whatever we needed to do to get the situation under control, including firing.”

The commander asserted that a woman was shot during a patrol of the local area in 2012 and added: “we saw a group of women doing a traditional dance down the road. There were some men throwing stones at us from the side of the women and so we opened fire on them. When you fire, bullets do not select people, and many people got hit with bullets.”

He continued that he decided to speak out: “This is my country and so the girl that got shot is a sister of mine.”
AML was once one of Sierra Leone’s largest employers, with almost 7,000 staff supplying the raw material for China’s production of steel.

According to Human Rights Watch, hundreds of families were evicted from their land to make way for the mine near Bumbuna with minimal consultation with villagers. The move undermined the livelihoods of local people, who lost access to lands used for farming.

In a witness statement, the commander said that, during the strike in 2012, he would break into people’s homes, before beating and arresting individuals. “By doing this we were scaring people away and showing them that we were in charge.”

A former driver asserted that an AML manager told operational support division officers that if workers cause problems “you should do anything to them”.

During the police crackdown, he said that a friend of his had been beaten up by a policeman in the town. “She was cooking in front of the house and the police kicked over her food pot … Her clothes were covered in dirt as if the policemen had stomped on her. She had scratches on her face and blood,” he said.

The driver’s witness statement also alleged that, at the company’s mine in 2013, police officers would shoot intruders, while AML workers would help to bury the bodies. “One OSD officer walked over to the machine and talked to the operator. A few minutes later, the excavator dug a hole in the ground and then the arm of the excavator pushed the body into the hole.

Shortly after that, a road roller, also working nearby, levelled the area,” the former driver said.

The mining company declined to comment on the allegations. In January 2017, 101 claims relating to the case were settled. On Thursday, Leigh Day will ask for anonymity for a number of individuals giving evidence.

The hearing will also consider whether the court should travel to Sierra Leone to hear evidence, or whether witnesses should speak through video link.

In 2009, oil firm Shell agreed to pay $15.5m (£9.6m) to the Ogoni tribe of southern Nigeria after a case was brought by Leigh Day, accusing the multinational of human rights violations.

32 thoughts on “For Unlawful Killings… Africa Mineral/ Shandong In UK Court

• June 5, 2018 at 9:22 am

I book marked it to my book mark web site list and will be checking back soon. You really need to be thanked way more often than you are. Excellent write up you have got here. I just shared this on my page and 78 people have already read it!

• June 24, 2018 at 7:51 am

I really like and appreciate your post.Much thanks again. Awesome.

• June 28, 2018 at 8:16 am

“We are a group of volunteers and starting a new scheme in our community. Your web site provided us with valuable info to work on. You’ve done an impressive job and our whole community will be thankful to you.”

• July 8, 2018 at 6:03 pm

It’s going to be ending of mine day, except before ending I am reading this enormous article to increase my knowledge.Revolve Clothing

• July 8, 2018 at 11:48 pm

That is a very good tip, especially to those new to the issue. A close friend of mine recently shared with me your website and I find it to be an excellent resource for my school. You are clearly very knowledgeable about this subject. I can not stop myself from reading your blogs. I might not understand a whole lot on the subject matter but I will come back to your website so I can learn more. I must say, I really love what you’ve done here.

• July 11, 2018 at 9:30 pm

• July 21, 2018 at 10:36 am

Ever since the time I first saw your site I have applied your insights and they have really enhanced my day to day life. I first heard about this site last week and I thought it was very interesting so I am happy you are talking about this. Right on with this posting, as always. You are totally right on with this. Applying your advice has seriously increased my knowledge.

• July 27, 2018 at 1:22 am

You really need to be looked at as a game changer in your industry. I lived out in California so I understand what you are talking about here. There is something about your website that is rather alluring and I would like to know exactly what it is. I just shared this on my website and 40 people have already shared it! I thinkI’m following along with what you’re trying to say. This website didn’t really provide me with the exact answer I was trying to find but, this article has made me think about some great points and has opened my mind on some new things.

• August 3, 2018 at 3:52 pm

Are there different websites you work on? And to think, I was really confused a moments ago. This is a highly descriptive and well written post. magnificent page. There simply must be some other resolution then the choices you have laid out here. I’ve been using this mobile app for a while now and I got to tell you that I am a big fan.

• August 15, 2018 at 12:37 pm

“I’m not sure exactly why but this weblog is loading extremely slow for me. Is anyone else having this issue or is it a problem on my end? I’ll check back later on and see if the problem still exists.”

• August 15, 2018 at 10:40 pm

{My mind is just blown away by your intelligent feedback on your article.|A big thanks for your article.|I’ve truly enjoyed browsing your site posts.|I contemplate your insights often at the gym and they really help me through my day.|I’m amazed at how slow your article came up on my phone.|No real feed back on this end, this is simply a cool post.|Your work really jacks me up.|I kind of disagree with the second Will there be a part 2 at some point? I’ve been using this ios app for a while now and I got to tell you that I am a huge supporter. I would bet you probably make puppies laugh. I have never in my life heard of that until just today.